‘ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL’ TOPS BOX OFFICE WITH $27M – (02/18/2019)
Robert Rodriguez’ and James Cameron’s Alita: Battle Angel topped the B.O. on Presidents Day weekend with a $27.8 million take. It seems the word on the street is positive, because it pulled only $8.7 million Thursday and then jumped 55% Saturday for an $11.6 million take. (Since opening Thursday, it has pulled in a total of $41 million domestically).
The sci-fi action film was budgeted at about $170 million and follows the story of a cyborg girl who takes control of her destiny. The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (the voice cast is led by Chris Pratt and Jason Momoa) dropped 38% with an estimated $21.2 million take, and Warner Bros.’ Isn’t It Romantic came in at No. 3 with a $14.2 million debut.
What Men Want came in fourth with $10.9 million, while Happy Death Day opened at No. 5 with $9.8 million.
- Alita: Battle Angel — $27.8 million
- Lego Movie 2: The Second Part — $21.2 million
- Isn’t It Romantic— $14.2 million
- What Men Want— $10.9 million
- Happy Death Day 2U— $9.8 million
- Cold Pursuit — $6 million
- The Upside— $5.8 million
- Glass— $3.9 million
- The Prodigy— $3.2 million
- Green Book — $2.8 million