‘HOBBS & SHAW’ WINS BOX OFFICE WITH $25M – (08/12/2019)
Fast & Furious spinoff Hobbs & Shaw landed at the top of the box office for the second week in a row, grossing $25.4 million, beating five newbies who bowed this weekend. Overseas, Universal’s Dwayne Johnson vehicle took in another $60.8 million, for a total haul of $332.6 million.
Of the newbies, Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark was the only one to outperform expectations with $20.8 million. Andre Ovredal directed the adaptation of the best-selling horror series for kids; Guillermo del Toro produced and co-wrote, along with the books’ author, Alvin Schwartz.
“The filmmakers and the team at CBS Films are thrilled that moviegoers are embracing the world of Scary Stories. It’s particularly satisfying to see families experiencing the fun of the movie together,” del Toro said in a statement.
The other kid-friendly film, Dora and the Lost City of Gold, opened in fourth place with $17 million.
Quentin Tarantino and Sony‘s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, now in its third outing, came in fifth with $11.6 million for a domestic haul of $100 million.
CHECK IT OUT:
Read the Full Story: https://bit.ly/2YXyaai
Hooray for Hollywood: Here are this past weekend’s box office results.
- Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw — $25.4 million
- Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark — $20.8 million
- The Lion King — $20 million
- Dora and the Lost City of Gold — $17 million
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood — $11.6 million
- The Art of Racing in the Rain — $8.1 million
- The Kitchen — $5.5 million
- Spider-Man: Far From Home — $5.3 million
- Toy Story 4 — $4.4 million
- Bring The Soul: The Movie — $2.3 million