Box Office Recap – 08/19/2019
GOOD BOYS LEADS BIG WEEKEND WITH $21M – (08/19/2019)
The Bean Bag Boys, the nickname for the trio of pals in Universal’s Good Boys are ruling the box office. Good Boys picked up more than $21 million in its opening weekend, exceeding expectations. Production for the film cost $20 million.
The Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg-produced movie is the first comedy to open in first place since 2016’s The Boss, and the biggest opening for an original comedy this year.
“The bottom line is the film is absolutely hysterical,” said Jim Orr, Universal’s president of domestic distribution. “Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg knocked it out of the park. And [Rogen and Goldberg] are a brand and really own this space with a very difficult genre.”
Hobbs & Shaw, the Fast & Furious spinoff featuring the Rock, snagged $14.1 million and took second place. Four other newbies struggled. The Angry Birds Movie 2 finished with $10.5 million after a slow Tuesday start, while 47 Meters Down: Uncaged earned $9 million, Blinded by the Light grabbed just $4.5 million and Where’d You Go, Bernadette, starring Cate Blanchett, earned a disastrous $3.45 million.
CHECK IT OUT:
Read the Full Story: https://bit.ly/2Ndpw5d
Hooray for Hollywood: Here are this past weekend’s box office results.
- Good Boys— $21 million
- Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw— $14.1 million
- The Lion King— $11.9 million
- The Angry Birds Movie 2— $10.5 million
- Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark— $10.1 million
- 47 Meters Down: Uncaged— $9 million
- Dora and the Lost City of Gold— $8.5 million
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood — $7.6 million
- Blinded by the Light — $4.5 million
- The Art of Racing in the Rain— $4.4 million