White Mountain National Forest Service Now Offers Option to Purchase Christmas Tree Permit On-line
Campton, NH (Nov. 16, 2020) – White Mountain National Forest officials are welcoming the public to select and cut a Christmas tree on the White Mountain National Forest with the purchase of a $5.00 permit. For the first time, permits will now be available for purchase either on-line (an additional $2.50 service fee applies) or in-person at a WMNF office. In support of the Every Kid Outdoors Initiative, this year the Forest Service will provide all fourth and fifth grade students with a free Christmas tree voucher by registering here: https://everykidoutdoors.gov. Fourth and fifth graders who register must present a printed voucher to redeem an Every Kid Outdoors Pass and a Christmas tree permit.
- Permits can be purchased either online or in-person at a WMNF office
- Permits can be purchased in-person at our three district offices: Saco Ranger District in Conway is open daily for permit sales, 9 AM to 4 PM. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, please contact the Pemigewasset or Androscoggin offices prior to your visit to schedule an appointment.
- Only 1 permit issued per household per year. Trees are for personal use only, not for resale. Each family may cut one tree per permit per year.
- Use only hand tools to cut Christmas trees. Chainsaws are not permitted.
- Make sure you are on National Forest land. Respect the rights of landowners when crossing private property.
- Do not cut trees within 100 feet of: campgrounds, picnic areas, trailheads or developed recreation areas, experimental forests, designated wilderness areas, water bodies, active timber sales.
- Do not cut trees within 100 feet of paved roads and 50 feet from dirt roads.
- When you purchase the permit ask if there are any known “off limit” areas.
- Do not cut trees larger than 6 inches in diameter at chest height. Pack down limb piles low enough so they are within 2 feet of the ground.
- Cut your tree so remaining stumps will be less than 10″ in height.
Be prepared for winter — dress appropriately in warm clothing and make your day a safe one!
White Mountain National Forest Offices
Pemigewasset Ranger District — 71 White Mountain Drive – Campton, NH– 603-536-6100
Saco Ranger District — 33 Kancamagus Highway — Conway, NH — 603-447-5448
Androscoggin Ranger District — 300 Glen Rd. — Gorham, NH — 603-466-2713